[squeak-dev] support of various line ends in trunk

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 17:31:03 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:
> On 17.11.2009, at 15:47, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>>
>> I never talked about control chars. We were talking about line ending conversions. A typical scenario is needing to edit ini files for real users that are stored in a server. I need to support users with Windows and Mac. And I want to leave the files as they need them. The best way to do that is with the Cuis editor. Then, I'm in control.
>
> Squeak's editor used to be binary-safe. You could visit any file in a file list, change a character, and save it back knowing that this would be the only byte altered. I wonder if there could be a convenient way to do that, while still interpreting e.g. utf-8 sequences as unicode characters. Maybe all that's needed is a stricter separation of model and rendering?

I fail see how binary-safety is important for text editing.
Open any text file, press cr in the middle of any line. Now what chars
will be inserted? What do you expect to be expected?
Depending on OS, depending on original contents of file? What if file
consists of a single line w/o any line separators?
And lastly, what if i insert a unicode char and save it, while used by
tools which understand only ASCII chars?
Sticking with binary-safety, which i think just a side effect of
current implementation, not a useful feature, is wrong direction in
designing text editors.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.