[squeak-dev] support of various line ends in trunk

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:36:25 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

> Igor,
> To make it clear, I did not changed any conversion layer neither in nor out.
> All I did was to:
> - extend support for splitting a String (or Text) lines according to
> any line end conventions
>  if all have been correctly converted to cr, like due in most
> application then my changes are 100% neutral
>  if someone has specific needs, then he gained some support
> - changed rendering of lf and cr-lf to remove ugly boxes

I joined the discussion later, where we started ranting about text editor(s) :)

The problem here, that we are trying to deal with consequences instead
of dealing with problem itself.
Now think, what if we could have a text import layer, which takes any
external string and converts it into an instance of Text
with already known and invariant internal format, and then text
editor/display won't ever need to care about any line ending & any
other control chars etc besides those which is meant to use
internally.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.