[squeak-dev] Load order, Monticello, Polymorph

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:50:55 UTC 2009

I tried taking another stab at whittling down Polymorph this morning.
I grabbed a recent trunk image, updated it, and loaded in a known good
Polymorph-Widgets to get started, but my image crashed while the
progress bar said "installing."

I was confused for a bit, but after some investigation, it seems that
the install phase doesn't have access to the methods that were just
compiled (the crash relates to MNUs where Polymorph methods are
missing, and when the debugger pops, the same thing happens, which
leaves me stuck in a REPL.) I know there's been some work going on to
do with Monticello and load order; I have a feeling this is that.

I was able to work around the problem by loading the package into a
standard image, filing out the bits that were missing/crashing me,
filing those back into a Trunk image, and then loading the Monticello
package.

I am at a loss though, as to how I'm going to fix the MC package. What
is MC doing when it it says "installing"? Does it just run all of the
class side initialization methods that it saw?

Or is there some way to inspect the installation process?

--
Ron

--
Ron