[squeak-dev] Re: Load order, Monticello, Polymorph

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Nov 18 18:33:22 UTC 2009

Ronald Spengler wrote:
> I was confused for a bit, but after some investigation, it seems that
> the install phase doesn't have access to the methods that were just
> compiled (the crash relates to MNUs where Polymorph methods are
> missing, and when the debugger pops, the same thing happens, which
> leaves me stuck in a REPL.) I know there's been some work going on to
> do with Monticello and load order; I have a feeling this is that.

Yes, most likely. Try the following and let me know if it works for you:

In MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad change the line saying

	"Pass 3: Install the new / changed methods
	(this is a separate pass to allow compiler changes to be loaded)"
	methodAdditions do:[:ea| ea installMethod] displayingProgress:
'Installing...'.

just remove the "displayingProgress:" part from it. It's actually pretty
ironic that we go through all this length with proper load order only to
sprinkle into the one part that counts Morphic updates via progress bar
animations :-) I would not be surprised if this is the entire cause of
your problems.

Cheers,
   - Andreas