[squeak-dev] Menu structure (Re: The Trunk: System-mha.167.mcz)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Nov 19 05:41:03 UTC 2009

Michael Haupt wrote:
> I know, this doesn't look much different from what we have now, but
> there's something behind the scenes. The "more tools ..." entry would
> open a sub-menu with all the tools to pick from. The four entries
> above that (i.e., the four first entries in the world menu) are
> adaptive. The most frequently selected tools make it there, replacing
> the less frequently used ones. So, if I rarely open a Transcript but
> often the Monticello browser, the latter will eventually replace the
> former.
>
> What about that?

One thing we could do is to use a plain old menu bar. This has the
advantage that people who try Squeak on their own get more guidance
about "where to click next" (the world menu is surprisingly hard to
discover if you don't know about it). We currently have
TheMainWorldDockingBar as a starting point (a bit too colorful but I'm
sure we can fix that) and then we could restructure that menu bar along
the lines of:

Squeak            Tools         Projects
   About Squeak      Browser       New Project
   Update Squeak     Workspace     Save Project
   Save Image        TestRunner    Load Project
   Save Image As     FileList      Previous Project
   Quit              ...           Jump To Project >

etc. Not only would this provide newcomers with a bit more familiar
structure in the environment but it would also allow us to repurpose the
  world menu as the menu with the 10 things that we use most. For me,
that would be a mixture of tools and projects, and perhaps that menu
should then be completely customizable (i.e., like the "do..." menu).

How about that?

Cheers,
   - Andreas