[squeak-dev] Re: Seaside support in Squeak (Re: My Own Squeak Direction)

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:01:07 UTC 2009

There coming along great. We want to give Julian a link to a page on
squeak.org with Seaside installation instructions. Which Seaside, and from
where, is something I'm going to need to know. builder.seaside.st? Isn't
that going to become incompatible?

I'm happy to create a screencast for the written instructions as well. My
site's got lots of them. And I have a workflow for making screencasts.

That broaches a worthy topic: officialness. What is officially Squeak
sanctioned? Bear with me here.

If I write a text that shows how we want people to install Seaside, and it's
vetted, and goes on squeak.org, then that's the official way we want people
to do it. Until we decide to change it.

I think we should have a screencast for that, and it'll be official. That's
the way to do it. There are screencasts floating around like confetti. They
aren't that useful, as they lack oversight and officialdom.

I'd like to elect myself dictator of official instructions and videos. We'd
create a text page on squeak.org and link to a resource housing screncasts
such as YouTube. So we have a YouTube channel where the official
getting-started-with-Squeak videos are.

What makes them official? Because I say so!  :O

They'd be official because the Squeak board has seen them and signed off on
them. They'd be official, because they'd have a maintainer, me, who would
listen to people's feedback on them, and they would be remade to address
changes or things that people found confusing. They'd be official, because
they'd have a small set of essential tasks people need to get what they
need.

Of course, once people see a set of ten movies that are official and
immutable, then they'll want to create their own to elaborate on the ten
official videos. We have them in the same place such as a YouTube Channel.

I'm not a saint and I'm not willing to do this just for the greater glory of
God.  To do this right takes time and effort, which ultimately means it
takes money. I'd want to be able to post a image link from our channel of
official videos to my site. Something like, "Sponsored by..." For that I'd
be willing to write lots of instructions and make, and revise, lots of
videos.

Consider it. I'll write the Seaside install instructions either way.

Chris