[squeak-dev] Squeak screencasts

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Nov 20 19:11:59 UTC 2009

On 20.11.2009, at 18:44, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:32 PM, K. K. Subramaniam <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 20 November 2009 12:16:00 am Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > Anyway, here is how to submit a fix:
> >
> >       http://screencast.com/t/NmM4ODE2ZjM
> >
> > and here how to fix a merge conflict:
> >
> >       http://screencast.com/t/ODRlNGE3N
> Excellent stuff! Any reason why they should not be indexed on
> squeak.org/Documentation?
>
> Visual environments like Squeak need visual docs and video/screencasts cannot
> be found easily on the web. Try googling for "squeak submit fix video", for
> instance.
>
> Many steps in Squeak are simple to the point of being incredible. But the path
> to simplicity is complex. Documentation/ site could help by indexing beginner
> (Developer) videos/screencasts at the top level.
>
> Subbu
>

> I can not disagree more.  Which do you prefer, this?
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2119529,00.asp
>
> or this?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9r1UAVq9AU
>
> Think about which one can embed code examples.  Think about going back and reviewing steps.  Think about how quick each one is to skim.  Think about which one is going to be more available, and less dependent on media player bugs.  Think about how less annoying it is to put up with some retard's southern rock crap on the intro, and his creepy HAL impression throughout.  And do I really have to look at him unscrewing screws?   I mean perhaps we should have a zoom in slo mo in case there are screwdriver tips to be picked up.
>
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_etZTCxXJy3w/SSoGc8cRfqI/AAAAAAAABqE/9gXPgkZMkMs/s400/Disposable.jpg
>
> 'nuff said.

Many younger folks prefer videos to written documentation. Like, a couple months back my teenager learned how to solve Rubik's Cube - because a class mate forwarded a youtube video. I showed him the nice written instructions I learned it from, with simple diagrams in them, really just a single page. I find that vastly easier to use. To my astonishment he still preferred the video. And he rarely even watches TV, so that can't be the reason.

Or, when we wanted to work on the Etoys 4 release notes, someone commented that the screencast demoing the new features was enough. It sounded like "who reads release notes anyway". We could hardly believe it. And wrote release notes anyway, obviously. Later he said he meant the screencast should serve as base for the release notes. Which I still find backwards, but apparently that's the times.

IMHO we need both. Written documentation for those who grew up on books, and something visual for the Generation Y.

"If the mountain won't come to the Prophet, he must go to the mountain."

- Bert -