[squeak-dev] Re: How people learn

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Nov 21 17:50:17 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Jimmie" == Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at cyberhaus.us> writes:

Jimmie>     1. visual learners;
Jimmie>     2. auditory learners;
Jimmie>     3. reading/writing-preference learners;
Jimmie>     4. kinesthetic learners or tactile learners^

Yes, there's that aspect of it as well, which is orthogonal
to the items I talked about (structure vs concept vs example).

So some people might want visual examples, while others want auditory
concepts first.

In particular, I'm very non-visual (mostly auditory and kine), so my books and
writings are very non-visual as well.  I've had to learn to adapt when people
in class say "yes, but what does an array *look like* in memory", because for
me, that's something I'd never be curious about, as long as I understood
(through listening and typing) how to manipulate them.

In fact, not to get too off the subject, but it wasn't until I was 19 years
old that I had even been exposed to the fact that people can think using
visual hallucinations, or remember using visual images.  I thought everyone
talked to themselves in words in their head like I was doing to think or
remember.  And to this day, visual processing is *very* difficult for me.
Everything I do, I do with words, not pictures.  Icons that don't have
tooltips are a *real* pain for me, because I can't associate a direct thought
with an icon... I have to first try to remember the word the icon represents,
and then I can remember what that would mean.  ("Scissors?  why would
they have a pair of scissors on an action bar... oh... *cut*" repeatedly.)