[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Filesystem 1.0

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Sat Nov 21 18:46:27 UTC 2009

On 21-Nov-09, at 10:10 AM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> Colin -- I'm curious what you think of Rio (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5929
> ).

I took a look at Rio a while back, and I remember being turned off by
the whole DSL-mania thing from Ruby. IMO, trying to layer another
language on top of Smalltalk syntax makes for very twisted code. It's
a bit easier in Ruby because of the implicit self, but even so, I
think simple, powerful abstractions that combine in predictable ways
is the best a way to achieve clear, understandable code.

That said, looking at the page you link to above, Filesystem and Rio
have a lot in common. Rio may have evolved since I looked at it, and I
probably stole a bunch of Keith's ideas without realizing it.

Colin