[squeak-dev] Re: Trunk updates all the way from 3.10.2

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 23:49:17 UTC 2009

Stephane Schitter wrote:
> I am trying to convert a standard 3.10.2 image all the way through to the latest trunk version. The process works but the resulting image does hang when  trying to load Monticello-ar.323(321) - I saw 2 lists message referring to that bug and the answer was to rather use the latest trunk version from http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/

I don't recall the issue in question. Can you remind what it was? The
only thing I remember is that of having to change an iVar in
MethodContext and the answer to this is to execute the following before
you start updating:

	MethodContext instVarNames at: 2 put: 'closureOrNil'.

> Is that it - will I not be able to built an up-to-date trunk from a 3.10.2 release ?

No, the goal is that people should always be able to build their own
images from 3.10 or 3.10.2 or any derived variants.

> Also, the image I saved just before the point it hung on Monticello-ar.323(321) was very large (40Mb) compared to those recent trunk versions available from the squeak ftp server (23Mb)
>
> How do you shrink the images to get such results ?

Clear the Monticello caches, i.e., open the Monticello browser and
choose "flush cached versions". This should help.

Cheers,
   - Andreas