[squeak-dev] A Slogan

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sun Nov 22 20:14:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 11:57 -0800, Ronald Spengler wrote:
> I remember a line from one of Alan Kay's papers, and I googled it this
> morning, looks like he was maybe quoting H.G. Wells?
>
> "Future history will be a race between education and catastrophe."
>
> So, if we were going to be optimistic, we might build a system around
> the way people learn (and lol! If Java wasn't built in anticipation of
> catastrophe!)
>
> I was thinking about it and came up with a little slogan:
>
> "Optimized for Optimism"
>
> I was thinking about putting that on a shirt with the Squeak logo; I
> understand the board has dominion over the logo, so I'd like to know:
> would this be okay? Do I need written permission or anything?

Actually, if you are thinking of the logo I think you mean

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/25

Tim Rowledge holds the copyright and it is his permission you should
seek.  I'm just speaking for myself of course but I can't imagine the
Oversight Board having a problem with anything reasonable (vague, yes I
know) and I see nothing unreasonable about your idea.

Ken