[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Filesystem 1.0

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Nov 23 15:26:30 UTC 2009

On 22-Nov-09, at 8:30 AM, James Hayes wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> Please take a look at:
>
> 	http://commons.apache.org/vfs/
>
> It is Java but is brilliant.

Hey, thanks for this link. It *is* quite interesting; they're
definitely trying accomplish the same sort of thing that I am. I had
hoped to steal some of their terminology, but... Reference maybe sort
of meaningless but it's better than FileObject. :-)

One thing that is interesting is that they use URIs, with made-up
schema that map to their filesystem providers. So a Reference to a
file in a MemoryFilesystem would have a url like

	ram:/path/to/my/file.

And files inside zip archives look like:

	file:///path/to/archive.zip!/path/to/file

Java folks expect to us URIs everywhere. I wonder how well that would
work in Smalltalk.

Colin