[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Filesystem 1.0

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Nov 24 06:57:28 UTC 2009

On 23-Nov-09, at 10:41 PM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

> 2009/11/21 Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
> I really need to rewrite the tutorial to de-emphasize paths. You
> should use FSReference for everything. Once I get Eliot's suggestion
> implemented, the above will be:
>
> ref := FSReference D / 'Squeak' / '3.10'.
>
> Hi
>
> I don't like global objects referencess in code. I cant mock global
> object in tests.
> I like VW dsl for that. For FileSystem it's can be:
>
> 'd://squeak/3.10' asFileReference.

I'm not sure I follow. The only global here is the class FSReference.
#D is an instance creation method. I don't see how the message you
suggest is any more flexible. You can't mock out the implementation of
asFileReference any more easily than that of #D, right?

> And delimiter "/" is just squeak delimiter (not OS filenames
> delimiter).

Yes, exactly. It's meant to be a cross-platform, reasonably clear way
of specifying a path. It's not meant to match the platform path syntax
exactly.

Does that make any sense to you?

Colin