[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 00:11:09 UTC 2009

Cool thread Andreas. The direction I am looking to move Squeak
in as part of the Open Cobalt project:

I would like Squeak (Cobalt) to be a real-time collaboration
tool. I want to invent a new medium for teaching classes,
creating art in teams, and pair-programming over the internet.
In the long term, that would involve merging with a lot of
Jecel's ideas.

In the short term, we are working on better network support,
better support for saving and running multiple islands (which
are kind of like Morphic projects with any number of people
using them over the internet), and a well-integrated chat and
voice UI.

I also am going to make an attempt over the winter break to
rebase Cobalt atop Pharo. The short-term goal of this is to have
support for Alien FFI; long term goals are:

- Finally make Tweak a loadable package
- Have a fast path for adopting Cog and other VM changes
- Get rid of one of the more unnecessary forks of Squeak

And, finally, some things I'd like to see but am not working on:
- A better Monticello with much better support for cross-project
  management, which used git or something as a backend in order
  to be able to use the excellent hosting providers that are
  available. (hosting has always been the achilies heel for
  monticello, and even more so for Monticello 2)
- Incorperation of the Newspeak UI and namespace implementation
  solution into Squeak
- Traits support in SystemEditor. This would enable the release
  of MC1.6 in the short term, but would also serve as an
  excellent base for future experiments on code management
  systems, and also could be used to replace ClassBuilder.

--
Matthew Fulmer (a.k.a. Tapple)