[squeak-dev] My own Squeak direction

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 30 01:05:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a vision I think both of the above point in the direction of image-level
> components, which I believe is one sensible direction up from objects.  All
> sorts of distribution, reliability, scalability and update issues are
> addressable when one architects a system out of many virtual machines (think
> thousands or millions of ~< 1 meg footprint images).

Namespaces would be much less of an issue if you had image-level
components.  More precisely, names within an image would not be a big
problem, it would be names between images.

i agree that figuring out how to make systems out of lots of images is
important.  Imagine if the debugger ran in a different image than the
application.  All sorts of problems with the debugger would go away.
It is the right way to deal with parallelism.  It is key to
reliability.  It is important for security.

-Ralph