[squeak-dev] Fwd: [Pharo-project] Compiling a Squeak VM for Pharo on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (64bit)

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Mon Oct 12 11:00:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

On 12.10.2009, at 12:39, Peter Osburg wrote:

> Hi Ramiro,
>
> thanks for the hint, I will try it later today.
> Does this also have the effect that I can install Squeak with
>
> sudo apt-get update

This is very unlikely. A debian system tries to install always the
same architecture which is 64bit in your case. The debian has the
possibility to manage your use case but I never saw it applied to
anywhere.

A lot of moons ago there was a discussion about this. To help out I
built a debian package that has an architecture label of amd64 and
installs the 32bit version of squeak. As it has a dependency to ia32-
libs this is quite ok. The package can be found here [1]. But this is
a rather old version of the squeak vm. If there is demand on this I
could provide a more actual package and/or instructions how to build
such a package

Norbert

[1] http://files.selfish.org/deb/squeak-vm-i686_0.1ubuntu1_amd64.deb