[squeak-dev] Re: MC 1.6 status?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Oct 20 22:05:28 UTC 2009

Hi Igor,

no problem here except from the following issues:

a) I don't even know where/how to load it. There is a bunch of
conflicting packages on SqueakSource and zero instructions on what to
load from where. Some information would be tremendously helpful.

b) As far as I know nobody is using MC 1.6 at this point (if you do,
raise your hand so I can see you). Given the critical nature of
Monticello for development I'm not in favor of replacing a working and
tested piece of infrastructure without extensive prior testing.

c) It needs to support all the current features of Monticello (i.e.,
traits) or else it simply isn't fit for the intended purpose.

If we can take care of the above, we can run an experiment like
installing MC 1.6 into a 3.10 image and updating all the way through to
the current trunk and make sure this works. At that point I would feel a
lot more positive about MC 1.6 since what it means is that at least we
know we can deal with the stuff that we've already been using.

Cheers,
   - Andreas