[squeak-dev] Commit messages revisited

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:38:13 UTC 2009

2009/10/21 David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 08:35:25PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> What I have been proposing is to use the mailman digest features to have
>> the commit messages go to a separate commit list and cross-post a daily
>> digest from the commit list to Squeak-dev. This should help us to keep
>> awareness up and I think dealing with a single commit summary per day
>> would keep the volume low enough for people to keep up with.
>>
>> I'm curious what people think about this idea or if you have other
>> proposals for balancing these tradeoffs.
>
> Perhaps the response will vary according to what mail reader is being
> used. For myself, I use a simple text mail client (mutt), and it is very
> convenient to scan through the commit messages quickly, deleting them
> as I get the gist of what was done. This is easy and and efficient, so
> I am satified with the current notifications.
>
> Dave

I personnally do not much like digests, precisely because containing
too much information at a time.
The best feature of digests is that they are throwable in one click,
I'm afraid that's the olny one.
I'm not sure if we must legiferate at each specific event (a French sport !)
The question is whether such burst of activity will occur frequently or not.

Nicolas