[squeak-dev] Commit messages revisited

stephan at stack.nl stephan at stack.nl
Thu Oct 22 11:26:43 UTC 2009

Ken Causey wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 06:21 -0500, Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> I do not like the current system.  It is just too much mail.  I bet it
>> is driving people out of squeak-dev.  A digest of commits would be
>> better.
>>
>> -Ralph
>
> At the current moment there are 1627 subscribers to this list which is I
> believe the highest number yet, so this one data point doesn't suggest
> anyone is leaving yet.

That is not likely to be a good indicator of how annoyed people are
on short term. I, for instance, just ignore this list as long as the
commit messages are spammed to this list. I'll wait a few months before
deciding to leave or not. In the meantime I direct most questions to
other lists (Seaside, Moose, Pharo, Beginners).

A better indicator is how many different people are posting on
non-commit related topics. That number has fallen significantly,
though that might be related to people moving to Pharo.

In essence, this list has converted from being the general squeak list
to being development of squeak itself only.

Stephan Eggermont