[squeak-dev] Commit messages revisited

Laurence Rozier laurence.rozier at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:43:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

One non-zero-sum approach would be to leverage an email aware service such
as Posterous <http://www.posterous.com>. By investing a few minutes of time
the board could obtain an email address at posterous.com to send commits to.
Then people could use any RSS reader they wanted and use or create more
powerful Squeak-based tools for search/repurposing. With a few more minutes
Posterous can be configured to autopost to Twitter, Tumblr or many other
places. I've already done this(http://squeakcommits.posterous.com/) for my
own benefit and also so folks can see but it would be better IMO for it to
be an official feed<http://smalltalkworld.posterous.com/announcement-squeak-commits>.

It's worth considering me thinks, that according to the Squeak Wiki
<http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/608>

The primary mailing list for anyone interested in programming in Squeak. It
> is a lively and busy forum for discussion on all things related to Squeak!

so getting a screen full of commit messages is probably not a good first
experience for the seasoned developer coming from another language looking
for how to *use* Squeak rather than maintain/develop it. Maybe there needs
to be another list for folk not working on the trunk but regardless of which
way things go choices are available.

Laurence