[squeak-dev] Why not set up a forum?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Oct 22 13:20:24 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Mihnea" == Mihnea Radulescu <mihnea.radulescu.2008 at gmail.com> writes:

Mihnea> I'm curious as to why this is the only (or one of the few) communities
Mihnea> that does not set up a user forum system, considering how
Mihnea> old-fashioned and cumbersome a mailing list is?

Let's just say that's not a universal opinion. I actually *prefer* mailing
lists, which can use standard APIs (RFC 821, RFC 822, and their successors) to
talk to *my* choice of mail reader that is integrated with the rest of my
environment.

The whole notion of the web "reinventing" something that wasn't very
broken was just silly.  Every forum requires separate registration,
separate rules for how to quote the previous message, separate markup
methods, seperate rules for rich content, and has no ability to
be locally archived in case I want to go back to look at a message I
posted earlier (I'm a packrat that way).

That's what I like about lists.perl.org - hundreds of Perl mailing lists are
bidirectionally gatewayed to nntp feeds that can also be read directly on the
web (I don't think you can *post* from the web though, and that's a good
thing).  Everyone gets their choice.