[squeak-dev] Commit messages revisited

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Fri Oct 23 06:03:56 UTC 2009

 >Is developing Squeak implying using and programming in Squeak?
 >If yes, then why you think that this list is wrong place for that? :)

Of course it is. But it still is the wrong place. Core developers are
few
and experienced and can be trusted to configure email readers :)

People new to squeak use the list archives (web interface without a
filter).

The message these lists send to people new to squeak is:
- there is no activity on beginners (and I am an experienced developer
in ..., so that list is not for me)
- squeak dev is a core developers list, and there is an active core team
and very little actual users.

 >There is one problem which we had in the past: a team of dedicated
 >people doing a black voodoo behind the scenes, and nobody aware what
 >exactly they doing, and then when they finally made a release, the got
 >burned because of major unacceptance among community.
 >What you think , in order to prevent that in future, wouldn't it
 >better to make a development process as much as open as possible?

This is not open. It is spam. The community does not read commit
messages
or the reactions on them, it just ignores them. Non-core developers
simply
don't have the time to read all of this, and have no way to decide
what to read
and what not. What is important?  It is up to the core developers to
explain
the choices, sollicit comments, and make and document  their decisions.
That is where an open development proces comes from. If you want a
reaction from Dan, ask him.

Stephan Eggermont