[squeak-dev] Accelerating MultiByteFileStream

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Oct 23 08:36:10 UTC 2009

On 23.10.2009, at 00:40, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> What about integrating changes from
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=860 ?
>
> It will only accelerate nextPutAll: in case of latin1, but that
> already covers lot of code.

> And it generalizes Andreas trick squeakToUtf8 to any other encoding...

Sounds good, and this direction should be safe I hope.

We just had a bug in Etoys that required replacing "squeakToUtf8" with
"convertFromEncoding: #utf8". While the both are supposed to be
equivalent, the former does not set the leadingChar, which is required
for some locales:

http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/etoys-dev/2009-October/004045.html

- Bert -