[squeak-dev] towards Alien in trunk

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 14:48:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

this has somehow been swept under the carpet, where it clearly doesn't belong.

I have uploaded Compiler-mha.76.mcz to the *Inbox* - please install it
in a safe place and check whether things break.

This patch contains an implementation of Parser >> #pragmaLiteral:
(once contributed by Eliot) and another change in the Compiler that
invokes this new method instead of the old one (which did not take any
arguments).

After that, I was able to install, without errors, the required Alien
packages in their most recent versions in an up-to-date *trunk* image.
This took place on a Mac using John's 4.2.1beta1U VM.

That is, install as follows:
1. install my Compiler patch
2. install Alien-Core-First
3. install Alien-Core
4. install Alien-Examples
5. install Alien-LibC
6. install Alien-CoreTest
7. install Alien-Last-Class-Initialize

The tests fail. I could not find any Alien libraries in the VM
resources, so probably that's the reason. John, what needs to be done
to get the library in there?

Alien would be nice to have, right?

Best,

Michael