Installer quirk idea :) (Was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: AlienInstaller-mha.4.mcz)

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Sep 4 09:39:15 UTC 2009

On 9/4/09 4:58 AM, "Igor Stasenko" <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> We discussed a bit the procedure, how to make it easy and convenient to
> install
> a multiple packages using Installer in a convenient way.
>
> Prerequisites:
> - you having a multiple packages , and need some untrivial steps to
> complete installation, which usually can't be handled
> purely by MC
> - for that, you creating a MyPackage-Installer package and put it in
> same repository as your project located.
>
> Now, what we want is:
> - load the MyPackage-Installer package
>
> - for all its classes, which implement #install method, run them.
> then after we're finished, unload the MyPackage-Installer package,
> because it is no longer needed, since its only job is
> to load the actual project to image.
>
> I think it could be as simple as adding this to Installer, so you could type:
>
> Installer autoInstallFromMC: urlToRepository
>
> then installer should list the repository files, try to find the
> package with name, which ends with 'Installer' string,
> and then load it and continue with the steps i described above.

I think Monticello have preamble and postscript now or I'm wrong ?

So no need of Installer at all, only appropriated DoIts

In fact , one of the things I wish is get rid of Installer, SM,
Universes.ScriptLoader and ReleaseBuilder on the trunk image.

All should live outside of image and people who need, want or miss could
load to last versions.

Edgar