[squeak-dev] some thoughts on coding practices.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Sep 5 20:46:01 UTC 2009

Today I was faced with trying to consolidate some overrides for the
iPhone work and faced the following issues: Or perhaps it just wasn't
my day
to do software development on the EuroStar.

(a) I need really to extend or subclass InputEventSensor

	(1) I'm not really sure how to best add instance variables to
InputEventSensor via MC.
	(2) I wanted to make a subclass, but then discovered RFBServer which
I need actually hard codes a reference to InputEventSensor versus saying
	  InputEventHandler defaultClass  (or something)
	(3) RFBEventSensor then cheefully subclasses InputEventSensor which
defeats my proposed subclass, not sure how in MC I could change the
class hierarcy of someone else.

(b) RBSpellChecker only picks between macintosh and other, so adding a
subclass for iPhone means hacking startup for RBSpellChecker, versus
having the
more standard iteration over subclasses and having them choose who can
do the work. Also if it's not macintosh that does not mean it's
iPhone, or windows, risc, or unix...

These both seemed hurdles to getting somthing productive done so I'll
welcome comments about how to make it easier.

--
=
=