[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: project view title is all black

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Sep 6 21:11:06 UTC 2009

Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
> Looks like some of the changes in trunk broke the mechanisms by which
> the project view displays the project name:
>
> I have not yet found the culprit, my suspicion is that this could be a
> side effect of antialiased font rendering.
> The core of the problem is somewhere in the drawing of a string morph on
> a fresh canvas.
> When you execute "(StringMorph contents: 'X') imageForm bits asArray"
> you will get different results in the current trunk image and in a
> 3.10.2 image, for example. I have not yet tried it in other images.

Correct. I tried to dig in a little and the issue seems to be a result
of the 16->32 bpp expansion of the anti-aliased font glyphs. An easy
test case is this:

self assert: ((StringMorph new contents: ' ') imageFormDepth: 32) bits
first = 0.

It would be interesting to see if this is an artifact of just the
expansion (in the StrikeFont's glyphs) or if there is more than that. If
anyone has a 32bpp version of one of the fonts I'd like to try.

Cheers,
   - Andreas