[squeak-dev] DeltaStreams at ESUG in Brest

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Sep 7 14:10:15 UTC 2009

Hi Göran,

Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Back from Brest and a GREAT conference. This post is not about the
> ESUG conference though (I could write a lot about that) but about
> DeltaStreams that I presented and worked hard on while being there.
>
> We had a lot of interest in it, and not only from Squeakers.
> Unfortunately my presentation collided with Lukas/Seaside so many
> missed it. Slides are here:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/esug/deltastreams
>
> ...and perhaps a movie is available somewhere, dunno.

> - Igor joined me and it was real fun to finally meet in real life and
> work together. Igor is now working on a Toolbuilder based UI for
> Deltas using TestRunner as inspiration for code etc.
>
> - I hooked in Tirade fully. This means Deltas can now be filedOut and
> read back in using Tirade format. This is also covered by some smart
> tests written originally by Matthew Fulmer. Simplified Tirade in the
> process.
>
> - We fixed lots of Delta tests and the tests are now almost fully in
> the green. Hopefully in a few days more I can say 100% green.
>
> - We moved over development from 3.10.2-7179 to trunk! :) Not a big
> deal actually but we also turned the base patches into MCs so you can
> actually pull DeltaStreams into trunk by loading one MC, and then
> running a single liner that uses Installer to pull in the rest.
>
> - We added code for tracking DoIts and I almost burned my braincells
> figuring out a *sensible* way to deal with them. This is an
> interesting area... I will post separately I think :)
>
> - Lots and lots of other details, don't remember them all.
>
> - We also talked a lot with Pharo people about our dependencies.
> Deltas so far depend on four important pieces:
>     - SystemChangeNotification and the event classes for it.
>     - SystemEditor mainly written by Colin Putney for MC2.
>     - Toolbuilder for UIs.
>     - Tirade for serialization.
>
> We hope these dependencies will be kept up to date in most Squeak
> flavors.
>
> The change notification stuff originally written by Roel Wuyts is a
> bit messy, but it works. It could be rewritten using Announcements or
> whatever (Stephane wants that) but if we do that then we really need
> to make sure ALL Squeaks do it together. Otherwise we are going into a
> "world of hurt" for building cross fork tools.
>
> SystemEditor works in trunk, although has 11 failures. I think it is
> broken in Pharo, haven't looked closer yet.
>
> Toolbuilder is of course kept up to date in trunk by Andreas (I
> guess), I hope that Pharo will sync those changes?!
>
> Finally Tirade should work fine in all Squeaks and probably other
> Smalltalks too, just vanilla code. And since it is my code I can make
> sure it does work wherever we want Deltas to work :)
>
> Now, regarding these dependencies - Toolbuilder is of course just for
> the UIs. Deltas can still be used in a Squeak without Toolbuilder.
> Tirade is "just" for serialization, but hey, that is kinda useful :)

> [...]

It is great to know DeltaStreams keeps advancing!

I didn't have much time to understand the dependencies yet. I just want
to say that I want to support DeltaStreams in Cuis.

I guess I'd need to work on ToolBuilder, but I think it is a good
addition to Cuis.

I need to study a bit SystemEditor and the SystemChangeNotification. Not
sure if I'll want to load that code (I really need to check it), but in
any case I'm willing to make easonable alternatives to work in Cuis to
support DeltaStreams.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich