[squeak-dev] DeltaStreams at ESUG in Brest

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon Sep 7 16:03:33 UTC 2009

Hi!

Igor answered but I am doing it too:

Juan Vuletich wrote:
> It is great to know DeltaStreams keeps advancing!

Yes, it is great fun right now - especially when Igor joined.

> I didn't have much time to understand the dependencies yet. I just want
> to say that I want to support DeltaStreams in Cuis.

Yes, that is important for us. It also means we will take care trying to
make that possible. :)

> I guess I'd need to work on ToolBuilder, but I think it is a good
> addition to Cuis.

It probably is, and if you don't then you could always write your own
Delta tool - but then we would be doing redundant work. Also, the latest
TestRunner for unit tests is built on top of ToolBuilder...

> I need to study a bit SystemEditor and the SystemChangeNotification. Not
> sure if I'll want to load that code (I really need to check it), but in
> any case I'm willing to make easonable alternatives to work in Cuis to
> support DeltaStreams.

As Igor explained SystemChangeNotification is about capturing events. If
you have alternative ways in Cuis (haven't looked at Cuis yet) it is
easy to do it differently. The domain model does not know anything about
events etc, for trunk/3.10 and Pharo that code is in
DeltaStreams-Logging and I think it works for those flavors. AFAIK it
was originally written by Roel Wuyts.

The SystemEditor is the mechanism we are using today to *apply* a Delta.
  It is written originally by Colin Putney for use in MC2 and it offers
a way to make changes in an atomic fashion. Matthew has fixed several
issues with it along the way. Personally I find the code in SE to be...
confusing. But atomicity is of course nice.

We will most likely also need to implement a "regular" applier using the
same mechanisms that Changeset does today, but that has not yet been
done. So yes, if SystemEditor does not work in Cuis (or you don't want
it) then we will need to first write either a Cuis-specific applier or
write this "regular" applier, and use that one.

On my blog is the latest instruction on how to get started in trunk:

http://goran.krampe.se/blog/Squeak/hacking-on-deltastreams2.rdoc

Feel free to give us more info on the matters above, eventually we will
take a look at Cuis but we are still busy getting "stuff to work right". :)

regards, Göran