[squeak-dev] The better debugger support by extending an Object protocol

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Sep 7 17:01:35 UTC 2009

On 07.09.2009, at 18:40, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Igor> Here is the default implementation of
>
> Object> debugPrintOn: aStream
> Igor>   ^ self printOn: aStream
>
> I like it, but I don't like the name.  It conjurs up the idea of
> debugging
> the #printOn: method itself.
>
> maybe #printForDebuggerOn: ?

It matches the other methods like #longPrintOn: though.

Also that would imply only the debugger invokes it, when it's clearly
appropriate for any purpose.

However, apart from this bike shedding ;) do others think it's a good
idea in general? IMHO #printOn: is primarily used for debugging anyway
so I wouldn't really expect a separate debug print method to be
needed. Debugging transparent proxies isn't for the faint-of-heart
anyway, so these developers can adapt their tools and proxies I would
guess. OTOH there is precedence in e.g. #asExplorerString, which
exists solely to get rid of the quotes enclosing strings for aesthetic
reasons ...

- Bert -