[squeak-dev] Controlling Arduino with Squeak Etoys

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:55:12 UTC 2009

Hi Ricardo,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Ricardo Moran<richi.moran at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just wanted to show you the new stuff we've been working on for the
> past few weeks: an Etoy to interact with an Arduino board to control
> electronic components.

oh wow. This is so cool it swims in milk.

> ... And now we can control it with Squeak Etoys!

One thing I cannot avoid to point out is that the control of the
Arduino with the Etoy widget is quite low-level; i.e., it's not
*really* in the spirit of Etoys. As far as I understand that
philosophy, there would, e.g., for the "blink a LED" example, have to
be an Etoys LED with an attached script that blinks it, and with some
attached configuration that maps it to the required Arduino hard- and
software.

That said, it is nonetheless very very cool. I was actually on the
verge of starting to implement Squeak connectivity for Arduino
Duemlianuove (now that Phidgets and Lego Mindstorms NXT are
supported). It seems that's been done, and I cannot wait to see the
code that drives this.

> It's not ready yet, but I hope we'll make it available sometime this week.

Please do. I'm already itching. :-D

> Check out our blog for more information: http://www.tecnodacta.com.ar/gira

*Click* ...

Best,