[squeak-dev] ToolBuilder, Monticello, and other external packages

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:54:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 12:19:19PM -0600, Ken G. Brown wrote:
> Question:
> If ToolBuilder has its own repository, and changes to ToolBuilder are done at separate repository at squeaksource.com/DeltaStreams, then also put into the trunk repository, then it is found in trunk that a small fix is required to ToolBuilder, where would the be fix be stored? If done just locally to trunk,  how would it ever be possible to keep ToolBuilder in its separately loadable repository in sync?

I think I actually abandoned those changes to ToolBuilder. They
worked fine and are only additions, and so break nothing,
however, Goran and I decided to use plain Morphic rather than
Toolbuilder, as Morphic is on more platforms than ToolBuilder.
Etoys, notably, lacks ToolBuilder.

> Similarly for MC. I've seen the following go by:
> At 3:36 AM +0000 8/31/09, commits at source.squeak.org apparently wrote:
> >Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
> >http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-ar.321.mcz
>
> Yet it is clear that at the public repository for MC at http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/, that Monticello is already at at least version 492. How does the Andreas 321 change relate to the 492 version in the public MC repository?

Actually, monticello 1.5 is at version 648:
http://www.squeaksource.com/mc/Monticello.impl-mtf.648.mcz

dunno of any reasonable way to keep external packages updated
other than by adopting them. I have merged in some Pharo changes
into MC1.5, and can do the same for trunk, if I ever get time to
work on mc again. MC1.5 is ready for adoption, I think. It may
have trouble loading some packages, but I won't really know
until a bunch of people test it.

I'd say MC1.5 is ready for adoption, if the following conditions
can be met:
- Users write mantis bug reports about it
- bugs submitted under the Monticello category are automatically
  assigned to me, rather than Avi Bryant, so they show up in my
  inbox

In the past, mc1.5 adoption was hindered because keith and I,
the developers, never heard any report of some rather serious
do hear about in hours.