[squeak-dev] Re: ToolBuilder-Kernel changes made by Matthew Fulmer

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 19:01:14 UTC 2009

Hi Ken -

[Regarding ToolBuilder]
This is a matter of the amount of work that people can invest. I would
very much like to keep the upstream repository for ToolBuilder in sync
but I have only so much time to spend. If you (or anyone else) would
like to help, I can add you as a developer to the squeaksource project.
Just let me know.

[Regarding MC]
The problem I am having with the latest version in squeaksource is that
as far as I know, nobody is using it. Yes, I've seen the "amused"
comments on IRC about the trunk using such an outdated version - but
it's the only version I know works, and so far nobody has proposed a
viable upgrade path. But most importantly that code needs mileage; if
you can find me someone who says they've been running it in production
for a couple of months with a reasonable work load I would feel *much*
better about it[*]. I'm not opposed to upgrading Monticello to any
version that's in the repository but I'd like to have either some
assurance that the code will be working out of the box (i.e., mileage)
or alternatively the explicit commitment from someone (Keith or anyone
else who knows their way around in the latest MC) to quickly fix issues
that come up.

[*] For example, if you would load the latest MC into a 3.10 image, hack
its ancestry so that it looks as if it's derived from the latest version
in the trunk, and then just update all the way through, this would go a
very long way in convincing me about that the code is stable.

[Planned work items]
I can only speak for my own plans here since I am in no position to tell
other people what to work on. My main focus is currently in two areas:
MVC removal (which is making progress) and some m17n simplifications
(which you've seen discussions about). That and integration of existing
fixes (strictly on a need basis) pretty much sums it up.

Others should comment themselves on what they are planning to work on.

Cheers,
   - Andreas