[squeak-dev] Re: 3.10.2 Forever ? (was Re: How to get a Trunk image)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 20:57:28 UTC 2009

Hi Edgar -

As a meta comment, I think we're discussing two separate issues here.

One is how to label the image properly. I'd say that given we're using
Monticello, the update number is somewhat useless in this context. I
would argue that a dated version (i.e., SqueakX.Y-090907 for Sept 7th,
2009) is more adequate. And yes, we could shorten that to "update number
90907" if we wanted to ;-)

The second question is whether or not to provide (numbered) change sets.
I have virtually no opinion on that since I find change sets inferior to
Monticello as change sets lack the context and history provided with
Monticello packages. If people find change sets helpful, then I guess
yes we should provide them, but I'd rather have us invest more time into
improving Squeak than providing a service that is rarely of use for people.

Asked concretely: Is there anyone out there who would continuously
consume an update stream (for whatever purpose) instead of consuming the
MC package updates?

Cheers,
   - Andreas