[squeak-dev] Re: 3.10.2 Forever ? (was Re: How to get a Trunk image)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Sep 7 23:47:55 UTC 2009

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 9/7/09 5:57 PM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>> One is how to label the image properly. I'd say that given we're using
>> Monticello, the update number is somewhat useless in this context. I
>> would argue that a dated version (i.e., SqueakX.Y-090907 for Sept 7th,
>> 2009) is more adequate. And yes, we could shorten that to "update number
>> 90907" if we wanted to ;-)
>
> I don't see why using Monticello exclude update number or version number.

Because the Monticello version is on a per-package basis? I'm not sure I
understand what you're trying to say here. Are you proposing that there
is already a way of having a unique update numbering scheme across
various Monticello package versions? If so, I don't know it. Or are you
suggesting you know how to define such a version? If so, I'm all ears.

The reason why there is currently no unique update number associated
with the trunk is only because nobody thus far has made a proposal as to
how it should be defined. If anyone has a proposal for what to use,
please make suggestions.

>> The second question is whether or not to provide (numbered) change sets.
>> I have virtually no opinion on that since I find change sets inferior to
>> Monticello as change sets lack the context and history provided with
>> Monticello packages. If people find change sets helpful, then I guess
>> yes we should provide them, but I'd rather have us invest more time into
>> improving Squeak than providing a service that is rarely of use for people.
>
> Maybe some like Monticello and more not , but afraid to say it.
> No point in arguing more.

I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to understand whether there is
actual value in providing an update stream parallel to Monticello
package updates. I just don't see who'd be using these updates if we
would provide them. If there are people who'd be interested in it, then
let's figure out a way of providing it. But if there aren't any, then it
seems like a waste of time to me.

Cheers,
   - Andreas