[squeak-dev] Re: 3.10.2 Forever ? (was Re: How to get a Trunk image)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 23:55:22 UTC 2009

David,

     for me the crucial advantage a ChangeSet has is in not defining
the rest of the package.  Currently I'm trying to e port the latest
version of the closure compiler from Qwaq to Squeak and Pharo.  As you
can see from the recent commits this cuts across 6 packages, all of
which contain distro-specific code.  With ChangeSet based tools there
is the (admittedly slim and still arduous) possibility of producing a
single linear sequence of changes which could correctly update both
Squeak and Pharo.  But using packages I can't do better than a painful
integration process that produces 16 packages.  I like Monticello but
in this case, complex code updates with ordering constraints that
overlap packages, ChangeSets (assuming similar levels of tool support)
would be much better.

Great if Monticello had a sub-package, single system organization
category, subpackage that only updated the classes and methods in that
single category.  I guess...

Eliot (phone)