[squeak-dev] Object>>launchPartVia:label:

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 8 00:47:52 UTC 2009

On 08.09.2009, at 02:16, Ronald Spengler wrote:

> Looking at this method, I don't really see why it needs to be on
> Object (feels like if it goes anywhere it should be on Morph.)
>
> It has three senders in my trunk image, and one of them is mine:
>
> IconicButton, PartsBin, and my own Pointy.
>
> I decided to follow the rabbit down the hole and move the method
> from Object to Morph; after that the object palette and my own class
> (which uses IconicButtons to do more less what the object palette
> does) started saying the method wasn't found on Object's class side.
>
> I sense metaprogramming, but I haven't figured out where it's
> happening. As an experiment, I moved the method over to the class
> side of Morph, and voila, everything works.

Not quite everything I would guess. This method is used to launch any
object from a parts bin, e.g. the supplies/widgets/tools flaps and the
object catalog, not just morphs. It typically is sent to a class but
could very well be used with other objects too. So moving is seems
inappropriate.

- Bert -