[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Krestianstvo SDK - Smalltalk, Croquet, Seaside... programming on native spoken language (Russian)

Nikolay Suslov nsuslovi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 22:10:11 UTC 2009

Andreas,

Thanks for the questions.
I will try to answer as clear as possible.
Krestianstvo was born in 2006 as a concept of virtual learning environment
for mathematics; also as collaborative, highly portable, end-user/programmer
framework for building-then-exploring rich multimedia discs on art; also as
tool for creating real-time art installations and augmented reality (
http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2007/02/croquet-realtime-3walls-art.html).

1. Collaboration was (and is) at first, so SDK is based on Croquet image
(3.8).
2. For describing Tweak UIs in Croquet, Sophie's XUL logic
(CSS/XML/SmallTalk) is used.
3. The same XUL logic is used for describing the contents of the Croquet 3D
spaces (during next few days I'll put it to Kresianstvo update stream with
the Krestianstvo Croquet's part).
4. OMeta will be used here for describing user own languages on describing
Croquet spaces and for parsing active formulas (user scripts) in XML tags.
5. The possibility of interaction with collaborative space not just from
peer computer with running Croquet image, but also from web browser from
anywhere. So the Seaside and Comet was connected (you could try it in the
current image, look at SmotriniWorldControl class comment, more at:
http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2009/07/seaside-29-and-comet-to-control.html).
6. Support of the existing physical interfaces (available in Squeak/Etoys)
to interact with Croquet space using OSC and Midi protocol (TUIO, Wii for
now).
7. Support of Live Coding on Croquet islands (to change the object
functionality in source code on all connected participants at the same time,
more at:
http://nsuslovi.blogspot.com/2009/07/live-and-collaborative-coding-in.html).
8. To have fully native spoken language support (here Russian) for
programming in SmallTalk, OMeta's user created domain-oriented languages
etc. (here http://www.krestianstvo.ru/sdk/Monticello/CroquetSystem/ are the
Monticello packages for Croquet image to have this support).

SDK could be used for programming a collaborative Croquet space with support
of interaction with it from different phisical interfaces and web mobile
devices, not just keyboard and mouse. To describe the content of the
collaborative space just in XML text file or create he's own description
language using OMeta (examples soon).
In Russia, SDK will be used for learning object-oriented programming
principals and more important for creating real world applications on native
spoken language, which could rapidly increase the audience of people
involved in Computer Technology science etc. from child to older.

Thanks,
Nikolay Suslov