[squeak-dev] Re: facelifting the trunk?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 17 15:12:58 UTC 2009

Ian Trudel wrote:
> 2009/9/17 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>
>> Indeed. What do people think about this little knock-off?
>
> Well, it seems to me that it goes toward the direction taken by Pharo
> as far as look-and-feel is concerned. I'm not feeling it. The reason
> is that Squeak should have its own visual identity, in my opinion.

That's why I like the Newspeak look. (it's got nothing to do with the
Pharo Look which was a plain Mac clone last time I checked). The
Newspeak look is quite individual and consistent in its appearance
without looking silly or unprofessional.

> Without mentioning that the look is favouring one or another OS,
> without being native, and not any better...

One of the things to be careful about here is not to make the better the
enemy of the good. Changes in UI are a sign of life and I think we need
one. It had been on my list ever since I came back into Squeak. We got
nicer fonts, now it's time to change the default look enough for people
to recognize that things are improving.

So *unless* you find a particular look so completely unbearable that you
couldn't possibly imagine to launch an image that looks that way I'd
like to ask for a bit of lenience. Simply agree that unless you do your
own, there is no way we can all agree on the "best" look. But that
doesn't have to prevent us from choosing an "acceptable" look. The work
done in Newspeak is nice, consistent, unassuming and done by someone who
actually knew what he was doing.

Cheers,
   - Andreas