[squeak-dev] Re: facelifting the trunk?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 17 17:33:23 UTC 2009

Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> That's why I like the Newspeak look. (it's got nothing to do with the
>> Pharo Look which was a plain Mac clone last time I checked). The
>> Newspeak look is quite individual and consistent in its appearance
>> without looking silly or unprofessional.
>
> Ok, this is your opinion, others may have another preference on the
> UI look. But that is not the point here. The question is
> what gives maximum freedom so one is not bound to a single l&f.
>

> So: Polymorph and Pharo are different things. If you dont like
> Pharo then dont put Polymorph away too early!

I think you are misinterpreting what I was saying. My comment was about
a previous comment that said "it looks like Pharo". I'm fully aware that
Pharo uses Polymorph with some Apple theme.

But the issue of integrating Polymorph should be separate from our
ability to apply a few tweaks that make the out of the box look a little
nicer. Let's not conflate one with the other - dealing with some 6k of
Botox injections for a little face lift is a bit different than dealing
with 300k of monkey patches, 150 classes and 3000 methods that make up
Polymorph.

Cheers,
   - Andreas