[squeak-dev] Polymorph (was Re: facelifting the trunk?)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 04:10:11 UTC 2009

Ronald Spengler wrote:
> Let's make it look better than it does now, and then turn toward
> discussing a skinnable architecture.
>
> Andreas: does Tweak lend itself to skinning in less ones and zeroes
> than Polymorph does?

No. Tweak actually utterly fails at that. I have a new UI framework that
I'm working on occasionally and which I actually used to implemented
Facelift first - the name Botox only occurred to me when I then started
to poke in all of these dark corners of Morphic to get it to look the
way I wanted ;-)

Polymorph is actually not a bad choice for skinning as far as a
Morphic-like environment goes but it needs work to detach the basic
skinning infrastructure from the actual looks and extra widgets. There
are simply too many dependencies right now.

If anyone wants to move this forward, here is how I would do it:
* Load Polymorph into a trunk image.
* Remove *all* UIThemes outside of the most basic standard Squeak one
* Remove all the unused classes
* Minimize the dependencies to the "extra" widgets that Polymorph has
but where simper stand-ins do just fine
* Repackage the result and push it into Morphic

I suspect (but that's a guess) that the end result is less than a dozen
additional classes and fewer than a hundred extra methods which I would
find perfectly acceptable for the skinning infrastructure. On top of
which additional themes could be loaded. But it's real work that needs
real time to be invested in it.

Cheers,
  - Andreas