[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] The SOM Family

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 06:55:06 UTC 2009

2009/9/17 Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> apologies for cross-posting ...
>
> At ESUG, I gave a short presentation on the SOM family of virtual
> machine implementations (in Java, C, C++, and Squeak), and also said
> that the VMs were not yet available.
>
> Well, *that* has changed now. They're available. They're MIT licensed.
> They're fun. They're there for youse to use. ;-)
>
> I have one request: if you use them, please let me know. I'm curious
> in what scenarios they're deployed. Also, please let me know about any
> problems, suggestions for improvement, and such.

Thanks Michael.
I will definitely take a look at it.
My "deployment" scenario is to look at design and what decisions were
made to solve certain problems, like object format, interpreter,
simulation logic
and implementation transparency which allows to easily translate the
VM code written in smalltalk
into low-level language, like C or C++.

> Oh, ere I forget: http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/projects/som :-)
>
> Best,