[squeak-dev] Facelift in trunk (and more)

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Sat Sep 19 09:23:39 UTC 2009

Andreas Raab schrieb:
> Folks -
>
> After the positive feedback about Facelift and Botox I've taken the
> liberty to add those changes to the trunk and consequently bring them
> down upon you ;-) The idea here is that you can try them and form an
> informed opinion. The main question that you should ask yourself is
> whether you feel that the updated look is an improvement over the
> previous look. Personally, I'm answering this question with a
> resounding "Yes!"; I think we've greatly improved the out of the box
> experience.
Well the looks did not change dramatically, but it's a nice step forward.
One thing that I'd want to change is the scrollbar looks. I think they
would look much lighter if the borders of scrollbar buttons and of the
slider would overlap when the elements are adjacent, and if they would
merge with the scroll pane's border.

Currently, it looks like this:

I'd prefer this:

I have hacked the scrollbar code a little to achieve this result
(mostly), but I don't feel comfortable enough with the changes yet to
post them. It just does not feel right to add a little constant here and
subtract some pixels there, not knowing what side effects this may have
for other look variations. A skinnable ScrollBar would perhaps be a
great thing :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin