[squeak-dev] About Collections-ul.137..140

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Sep 20 14:38:22 UTC 2009

Hi!

Just uploaded four packages to inbox: Collections-ul.137,
Collections-ul.138, Collections-ul.139 and Collections-ul.140. These
packages reimplement #rehash and #grow in Set and its subclasses (except
MethodDictionary). The ideas come are from Ralph Boland's FasterSets
project, but the implementation is different. According to my measurements
they are even faster. The four packages should be loaded in the given
order one-by-one otherwise mc might remove old methods before adding new
ones, etc (couldn't come up with a better mc based load mechanism).

While I was rewriting these methods, I found that KeyedSet and
KeyedIdentitySet are not used (no references, no senders) in the trunk.
Also checked that in a 3.8.1 full image they have no references (just
senders in DecompilerTests >> #decompilerDiscrepancies). I think they
might be removed from the base image and moved to a separate package.

Cheers,
Levente