[squeak-dev] Re: irc bots review, call for consensus

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Tue Sep 22 15:44:51 UTC 2009

Good morning all. Three days ago I wrote:
> What should be done with the bots currently announcing in the #squeak IRC channel ?
>
> a. Minor tweaks only, they are basically fine where they are.
>
> b. Move them all to back to #squeak-in-depth or elsewhere, they are damaging #squeak!
>
> c. Move the noisy commit bots to a separate channel, keep others where they are.
>
> d. I have a better idea: ...

yay-sayers have been much more visible to me.

In the d category Ian Trudel suggested waiting for inactivity and Randal and Bert agreed. That's a good feature idea and
I've implemented it, thanks. All the squeak and etoys bots now wait for 5 minutes of silence before speaking.

Ken Brown suggested an archive to read in batch mode; that's http://planetmisc.squeak.org , or pointing your feed reader
to the individual feeds.

Also long items now get truncated to fit a single irc message.

I'll wait a few days to see if these change anyone's mind, or if new ideas or voters appear. I know we haven't heard
from all bot users; I'll add a notice to the irc channel topic. Unless more support appears, it looks like the squeak
bots will be heading back to their little room..

Thanks!
-Simon

Ken G. Brown wrote:
 > b. I think they present interesting and valuable information. Thx!  I believe however that the volume of bot postings
obscure and damage the human interaction on #squeak IRC. I think they should have their own channel such as #squeakbots
so that a person can look when it is desired. The bot postings should be archived so they can be reviewed later if you
haven't been signed on to the channel for awhile.