[squeak-dev] Re: A small idea how to get closer to hardware with small efforts :)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Apr 5 12:42:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:13:51PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Here the proof of concept implementation.

> So, here the questions, which i like to be answered:
> 1. reserve a numbered primitive

Probably a named primitive in the interpreter is best, see comment in
John's new primitiveMicrosecondClock. I don't think that there is any
performance implication once the primitive name has been resolved once.

> 2. discuss the calling convention
> 3. add a 'platform id' code to VMMaker, and let language side know ,
> on which platform id VM currently runs on (through additional
> primitive)

I'm not sure how to handle #3, but there are a lot of different CPUs
and operating systems out there, not to mention all the different modes
of say an Intel CPU. So it may not be trivial to answer the question
"can this snippet of compiled code be executed in my current runtime
environment".

Dave