[squeak-dev] Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 11:50:17 UTC 2010

On 4/6/10 12:11 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Sorry, I've never heard the term, can you explain what it means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostracism
It's a nice and instructive reading, clarify my old school teachings about
Greek Athenian democracy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athenian_democracy>.
Now Squeak have some similar IMHO
> First of all, thank you for offering your help. I really do appreciate
> it. However, the commitment to be a release manager comes with some
> responsibilities, namely goals, milestones, and schedules.

Maybe is just me, but I see all trunk as Andreas game and nobody have the
guts for say no plans, no coordination and one day we play soccer and the
next rugby.

If the name of the game is soccer , can't touch the ball with my hands :=)

Al andar se hace camino, se hace camino al andar

>For 4.0 the  goal was relicensing, for 4.1 it is to push out all the changes
that happened during relicensing.

No argue here.
We have wider audience now so it's time to care about quality.

>The goals for 4.2 haven't been decided yet
> but there is a great opportunity right after 4.1 goes out to bring up
> some interesting ideas.

I like having a .image having the best of Pharo, Squeak , Cuis and
SqueakLight.
The default image should be SqueakCore as we know today.
All packages not in Core should go to squeaksource and have one or more
Squeakers as maintainers or die.
All load of out of image packages should be via Monticello.
No loaders by default.
Any pick Gofer or Installer if need from his last version somewhere and grow
until his/her needs.

> Unfortunately, after you announced your interest in being release
> manager nothing visible happened. Several weeks passed during which I
> had expected you to show some activity to move the next release forward
> - be that gathering a release team, or coming up with a set of tasks
> that need to be done, or providing even a rough time line. None of that
> happened.

Not true and you know is not true.
If you revert your previous decision and do not want I do nothing is a
different story.
And maybe you right in play your own game as Juan play his game in Cuis and
others play the Pharo game.

Squeak have a sad historic precedent in 3.3.
I know only some about , but seems Henrik Gedenryd was ahead of his time,
Unlucky us,  he passed away, unfortunately all too young.

Squeak need SOB word about the release process.
And Squeak is not only for 42 persons who understand each only some parts of
the system each (except you).

We have wider audience now, tell loud once more time.
And we want any could made Squeak his/her home.
Meaning all should be as easier and consistent as possible.

Edgar