[squeak-dev] Re: Edgar from the Ostracism Re: Squeak 4.1 release candidate 2

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Wed Apr 7 15:15:59 UTC 2010

Hi Edgar. I appreciate your long-time participation in squeak, so I read your last two messages carefully to find out
what you want. I understood two things:

1. you want the squeak trunk image to be smaller

2. you want automatic code loading in squeak

If I got it wrong, please try again, but write it in one sentence.

Otherwise, the above things sound fun, and they are not appropriate for the 4.1 release. The community was polled, and
spoke clearly: we want a quick 4.1 release to make available all the improvements in the trunk, that can be announced
widely together with 4.0. Andreas proposed an aggressive schedule and we all agreed. In this situation, silence was assent.

So, for more ambitious changes, you should try to get them into trunk, after the 4.1 release freeze has been lifted.
That's how the community will get to see/discuss/validate them. This is standard community software release engineering.

If you felt bad about being passed over as release manager, I can understand, but hard feelings are not justified.
Andreas and the SOB and community accepted your offer to serve in that role. You did not deliver what that role requires
and after some time Andreas gracefully picked up the slack, without shaming or blaming. People often get busy or have
different skills, so we go forward with everyone delivering what they can.