[squeak-dev] Re: SqueakMap soon working in 4.0/4.1!

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 8 02:29:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:38:08PM -0400, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Why on earth are you fixing SqueakMap?

Because SqueakMap maintains a catalogue of packages that have been
developed over the last ten years or so, many of which are not readily
accessible through any other mechanism.

SqueakMap is the original package catalogue for Squeak. It was and
still is a useful resource. Goran had the vision to see that SqueakMap
was needed, and took the initiative to create it before any other
such tools existed.

> How is this at all a good or useful thing?

It is useful because if you cannot find something or load it, then
it may as well not exist.

It is also useful because new Squeakers who explore the contents of
SqueakMap will find interesting artifacts to pique their interest,
whereas new Squeakers to encounter a broken SqueakMap will find only
frustration and confusion.

> Is there some kind of if-it's-broken-I-must-fix-it pathology going on here?

I certainly hope so.

Dave