[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] A small idea how to get closer to hardware with small efforts :)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 16:38:25 UTC 2010

Okay, here the small snippet of code, which does the trick! :)

Compile it with:

 gcc calltest.c callgate.s -o calltest

Here, a fn1() and fn2()
is equal functions (almost), which imitating the native code, which
moved during the VM call.

And fnCallGate() is a special function, which needs to be called
instead of actual function,
which potentially could move our code.

extern void fnCallGate(void* fn, ...);

it take a first argument - a function which needs to be called, and
then rest of arguments (if any),
which belong to that function.

This gate function using another function, which returns a current
value of a method oop.
In terms of Squeak VM, this is a method oop, which it retrieving
before calling a VM function
and after calling it (interpreterProxy->primitiveMethod).
So, in case if method oop is moved during GC, it will change the
return address by the same offset
as a difference between old method oop value and new one.

And so, with this trick, a native code could safely call any VM
function (through a gate function)
without the risk that if native code is moved during GC, it will
return to wrong address and cause a system crash.